- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Another terminal at Sadarghat soon: Shajahan
A new launch terminal will be set up at Sadarghat Launch Ghat soon to ensure safe journey of home-bound people during upcoming Eid-ul-Fitr, said Shipping Minister Shajahan Khan on Sunday.
“The terminal will be introduced on the western part of the capital’s Sadarghat Launch Ghat before upcoming Eid to ease the journey of launch passengers,” he said at a meeting at BIWTA Bhaban in the city.
Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) arranged the meeting to discuss measures for safe launch journey during the Eid-ul-Fitr.
Shajahan Khan said three new platoons have already been set up at Sadarghat Launch Terminal and ticket counters is opened so that passengers do not face any trouble in collecting their launch tickets.
He said no vessel will be allowed to carry additional passengers during Eid and launches must leave their station before crossing load level.
Warning that action will be taken against the launch owners if they are found taking additional fares from passengers during Eid-ul-Fitr, the Shipping Minister said his ministry will form necessary vigilance teams and will conduct mobile court drives to check fare hikes and overloading.