- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
BCL factions clash at Ctg College for 2nd day
Two students suffered injuries, including one with a bullet, as two groups of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) clashed at Chittagong College for the second day on Sunday.
Witnesses said a BCL group loyal to Chittagong city unit Awami League General Secretary and Chittagong City Corporation Mayor AJM Nasir Uddin entered the college campus at noon to welcome Class-XI admission seekers.
The clash ensued when another BCL group, supported by Chittagong city AL President ABM Mohiuddin Chowdhury, chased the other faction.
A chase and counter-chase took place between them during the clash. Several gunshots were also fired at that time, witnesses said.
The two factions also locked into a clash on Saturday over welcoming the newcomers.
Assistant Commissioner (Kotwali Zone) of Chittagong Metropolitan Police Qazi Mohammad Abdur Rahim said the two BCL factions engaged in the clash on the college campus around 1:30pm over establishing their supremacy which left two students injured.
Nijhum Farial, 22, a student of Port City University, received bullet wounds in the clash. He was admitted to Chittagong Medical College Hospital (CMCH), said sub-inspector of CMCH police camp Pankaj Barua.
Additional police were deployed on the campus to avoid further trouble.