- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
ICT frames charges against 4 Noakhali war crimes accused
The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) on Monday framed three specific charges against four people for their alleged involvement in crimes against humanity conducted during the 1971 Liberation War in Sudharampur upazila of Noakhali district.
The three-member panel of the tribunal, headed by Justice Anwarul Haque, took cognizance of the charges and framed the charges.
The tribunal also fixed August 7 for starting the prosecution’s introductory speech in the cases.
The four accused are Amir Ahmed alias Amir Ali Razakar, Abul Kalam alias AKM Mansur, Joynul Abedin and Abdul Kuddus.
Of them, Abul Kalam alias AKM Mansur has been on the run.
The prosecution pressed charges against five people, including the four in the war crimes case.
As another accused of the case, M Yusuf, died after the pressing of the charges, the deceased was not indicted.
Prosecutor Zahid Imam represented the state while Advocate Masud Rana, Gazi N Tamim, Tariqul Islam and Mijanul Islam stood for the accused.
The investigators started the probe against the five suspected war criminals on November 16, 2014 and submitted a report before the prosecution on August 31, 2015.
Three charges include killing of over 100 people, including 41 of Sonapur and Sreepur villages, in Sudarampur upazila of Noakhali district on June 15 in 1971.
Amir Ali along with Kalam and Joynal killed a person and kidnapped another one from Paschim Karimpur and Debipur villages in the upazila on September 13 during the liberation war.
Nine people were killed allegedly by Amir Ali along with Mansur and Yusuf in three villages in the upazila on September 13 in 1971.
Meanwhile, police arrested Amir Ali and Joynul Abedin from their respective village homes in the upazila on Monday, several hours after the tribunal issued the arrest warrants.