- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
ICT frames charges against 4 Noakhali war crimes accused
The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) on Monday framed three specific charges against four people for their alleged involvement in crimes against humanity conducted during the 1971 Liberation War in Sudharampur upazila of Noakhali district.
The three-member panel of the tribunal, headed by Justice Anwarul Haque, took cognizance of the charges and framed the charges.
The tribunal also fixed August 7 for starting the prosecution’s introductory speech in the cases.
The four accused are Amir Ahmed alias Amir Ali Razakar, Abul Kalam alias AKM Mansur, Joynul Abedin and Abdul Kuddus.
Of them, Abul Kalam alias AKM Mansur has been on the run.
The prosecution pressed charges against five people, including the four in the war crimes case.
As another accused of the case, M Yusuf, died after the pressing of the charges, the deceased was not indicted.
Prosecutor Zahid Imam represented the state while Advocate Masud Rana, Gazi N Tamim, Tariqul Islam and Mijanul Islam stood for the accused.
The investigators started the probe against the five suspected war criminals on November 16, 2014 and submitted a report before the prosecution on August 31, 2015.
Three charges include killing of over 100 people, including 41 of Sonapur and Sreepur villages, in Sudarampur upazila of Noakhali district on June 15 in 1971.
Amir Ali along with Kalam and Joynal killed a person and kidnapped another one from Paschim Karimpur and Debipur villages in the upazila on September 13 during the liberation war.
Nine people were killed allegedly by Amir Ali along with Mansur and Yusuf in three villages in the upazila on September 13 in 1971.
Meanwhile, police arrested Amir Ali and Joynul Abedin from their respective village homes in the upazila on Monday, several hours after the tribunal issued the arrest warrants.