- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
790 RMG factories shut down following inspections: Minister
Commerce Minister Tofail Ahmed on Monday said some 790 RMG factories, including 39 export-oriented ones, have been shut down following inspections under the supervision of Jayiya Udyog, Accord and Alliance.
The minister said this while responding to a tabled starred question from AKM Maidul Islam (Kurigram-3) in Parliament.
Tofail said these three organisations have completed their inspections of export-oriented 3,746 RMG factories about their fire, power and factory building preliminary security issues.
During their inspection, he said, 39 factories have been shut down completely while 42 partially.
Tofail said currently there are 5190 RMG factories in the country and of them 4834 are export-oriented ones.