- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
3.3 lakh BD workers went abroad in 11 months: Minister
Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment Minister Nurul Islam BSc on Monday told Parliament that Bangladesh exported some 3.3 lakh manpower to various countries in the last five months.
"A total of 3,30,222 workers were sent aboard from January 2016 to June 9, 2016," he said replying to an un-starred question from ruling Awami League MP Mahmud Us Samad Chowdhury (Sylhet-3).
The minister said Bangladesh exported some 4.25 lakh workers in 2014, while 5.56 lakh in 2015. "The government has a plan to increase the number to six lakh in 2016," he said.
In reply to another un-starred question from AL MP Mamunur Rashid Kiron, the minister said the amount of remittance the country’s received in the first 11 months of 2015-2016 fiscal year is US$13.45 billion (some Tk 1,05,535 crore).
Nurul Islam said Bangladesh has so far exported manpower to 161 countries.