- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
3.3 lakh BD workers went abroad in 11 months: Minister
Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment Minister Nurul Islam BSc on Monday told Parliament that Bangladesh exported some 3.3 lakh manpower to various countries in the last five months.
"A total of 3,30,222 workers were sent aboard from January 2016 to June 9, 2016," he said replying to an un-starred question from ruling Awami League MP Mahmud Us Samad Chowdhury (Sylhet-3).
The minister said Bangladesh exported some 4.25 lakh workers in 2014, while 5.56 lakh in 2015. "The government has a plan to increase the number to six lakh in 2016," he said.
In reply to another un-starred question from AL MP Mamunur Rashid Kiron, the minister said the amount of remittance the country’s received in the first 11 months of 2015-2016 fiscal year is US$13.45 billion (some Tk 1,05,535 crore).
Nurul Islam said Bangladesh has so far exported manpower to 161 countries.