- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
3.3 lakh BD workers went abroad in 11 months: Minister
Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment Minister Nurul Islam BSc on Monday told Parliament that Bangladesh exported some 3.3 lakh manpower to various countries in the last five months.
"A total of 3,30,222 workers were sent aboard from January 2016 to June 9, 2016," he said replying to an un-starred question from ruling Awami League MP Mahmud Us Samad Chowdhury (Sylhet-3).
The minister said Bangladesh exported some 4.25 lakh workers in 2014, while 5.56 lakh in 2015. "The government has a plan to increase the number to six lakh in 2016," he said.
In reply to another un-starred question from AL MP Mamunur Rashid Kiron, the minister said the amount of remittance the country’s received in the first 11 months of 2015-2016 fiscal year is US$13.45 billion (some Tk 1,05,535 crore).
Nurul Islam said Bangladesh has so far exported manpower to 161 countries.