- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
Ten villages in Dimla upazila were inundated as the Teesta River swelled following onrush from the upstream, leaving over 10,000 people marooned.
Sources at the local Water Development Board office said the river was flowing 9cm above the danger level.
The gushing water of the river submerged villages, including Kharibari, Paglachar, Jharshingha, Latibari, Charkharibari, Khalishachapni,Kharkhalichapani, Bagherchar, Charbagherchar and Satnai, under three unions of the upazila, said Nilphamari-1 MP Aftab Uddin Sarker.
He said the victims took shelter in the dam along the Teesta River.