- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Khaleda seeks HC bail in Comilla arson case
Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairperson Khaleda Zia on Sunday filed a bail petition with the High Court in the case filed under Special Power Act over the arson attack in Comilla on February 3, 2015.
The petition was filed with the bench of justice AKM Asaduzzaman and Justice SM Mojibur Rahman.
AM Ehsanur Rahman, a member of Khaleda Zia’s lawyer panel, said that Comilla court denied bail to Khaleda Zia on July 27 in the case.
So, they filed the petition with the HC against the order and appealed for her bail, he added.
Earlier on July 23, the High Court directed the Comilla Court to dispose of the bail petition filed by Khaleda within July 26.
On July 17, Khaleda Zia filed a petition before the court seeking bail in the case.
Eight people were killed and 20 others injured when miscreants hurled a petrol bomb at a bus at Jogmohanpur in Chouddagram of Cumilla district during the BNP-led alliance’s movement on February 3, 2015.
Two cases were filed in this connection against Khaleda.
On February 8, Khaleda Zia was sent to jail after a special court sentenced her to five years’ rigorous imprisonment in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.