- Quota movement leader held in Sirajganj under ICT act
- President, PM pay homage to Sheikh Mujib
- 15-km tailback on Dhaka-Chittagong Highway
- National Mourning Day being observed
- Three killed in Rajshahi road crash
- Dhaka 2nd least liveable city in world
- Uniform call rate from today
- Khaleda secures bail in defamation case
- Trade war threatens reign of luxury stocks
- India's gold imports surge as jewellers replenish inventory
Khaleda seeks HC bail in Comilla arson case
Bangladesh Nationalist Party chairperson Khaleda Zia on Sunday filed a bail petition with the High Court in the case filed under Special Power Act over the arson attack in Comilla on February 3, 2015.
The petition was filed with the bench of justice AKM Asaduzzaman and Justice SM Mojibur Rahman.
AM Ehsanur Rahman, a member of Khaleda Zia’s lawyer panel, said that Comilla court denied bail to Khaleda Zia on July 27 in the case.
So, they filed the petition with the HC against the order and appealed for her bail, he added.
Earlier on July 23, the High Court directed the Comilla Court to dispose of the bail petition filed by Khaleda within July 26.
On July 17, Khaleda Zia filed a petition before the court seeking bail in the case.
Eight people were killed and 20 others injured when miscreants hurled a petrol bomb at a bus at Jogmohanpur in Chouddagram of Cumilla district during the BNP-led alliance’s movement on February 3, 2015.
Two cases were filed in this connection against Khaleda.
On February 8, Khaleda Zia was sent to jail after a special court sentenced her to five years’ rigorous imprisonment in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.