- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
HC asked to dispose Khaleda’s graft appeal by Oct
The Supreme Court today extended till October 31 for the High Court to hear and dispose the appeal filed by BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust corruption case.
A four-member bench of the Appellate Division headed by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain passed the order following two separate petitions filed by Khaleda Zia seeking review.
The Appellate Division on May 16 upheld the HC order that granted four-month bail to Khaleda in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case in which she was sentenced to five years’ imprisonment.
The same day, the apex court ordered the HC bench led by Justice M Enayetur Rahim to hear and dispose of her appeal challenging the lower court verdict on her by July 31 (today).
Now, the HC bench will have to finish hearing and dispose of the appeal of Khaleda by October 31 following the Supreme Court order, Anti-Corruption Commission’s lawyer Advocate Khurshid Alam Khan told The Daily Star.
He said both the Appellate and High Court divisions of the Supreme Court will go for an annual vacation on August 15 and the will reopen on October 1.
On February 8, the Special Judge's Court-5 of Dhaka sentenced Khaleda to five years' imprisonment after finding her guilty in the graft case filed by the ACC.
The Dhaka court also jailed Tarique Rahman, now the acting chairman of BNP, and four others to 10 years’ imprisonment and fined them Tk 2.1 crore.
HC extends Khaleda’s bail till Aug 8
Meanwhile, the High Court today extended till August 8 its earlier order that granted bail to BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.
The High Court bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman passed the order following a petition filed by Khaleda seeking extension of her bail in the case.
The High Court granted four months’ bail to the BNP chief in the case on March 12 this year. The tenure of the four months’ bail expired on May 14. Then the court extended her bail for three times and the latest extension expired today.