- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
BNP demands resignation of Shajahan
Bangladesh Nationalist Party secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Wednesday demanded resignation of shipping minister Shajahan Khan branding him as 'instigator' of chaos in transport sector.
In a statement Fakhrul made the demand amid the current movement of students of educational institutions after tragic death of two students of Shahid Ramizuddin Cantonment School and College under the wheels of a bus at Kurmitola on Airport Road in Dhaka on Sunday.
The agitated students placed nine-point demands including tendering resignation of shipping minister Shajahan.
Fakhrul asked the government to immediately resolve the evolving crisis through discussing with the agitated students.
He demanded exemplary punishment to the responsible bus driver for killing the two students.