- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
- CEC moves to heal rift with commissioners
SC grants ad-interim bail to war crime convict Abdul Kuddus
The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Thursday granted six months’ ad-interim bail to war crime convict Md Abdul Kuddus suffering from lung cancer for long. war crime convict Md Abdul Kuddus
A four judges bench chaired by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain issued the bail order after accepting his report submitted to the court by the registrar of Sheikh Mujib Medical University and Hospital to comply with it directive.
This is the first time, a war crime convict was granted bail by the Appellate Division during pendency of hearing in the appeal against the sentence handed over by international crimes tribunals.
Kuddus was under treatment at the BSMMU on the court order.
Kuddus, 87, prayed for his bail in the Appellate Division on the ground that he might died anytime as he was diagnosed lung cancer and the cancer reached at fourth stage.
On March 13, judge International Crimes Tribunal-1 handed death sentence to three war criminals, and jailed Kuddus for 20 years, all from Sudharam, Noakhali.
They were convicted for committing crimes against humanity at different places under the then Sudharam thana in Noakhali district during the Liberation War.