- Quota movement leader held in Sirajganj under ICT act
- President, PM pay homage to Sheikh Mujib
- 15-km tailback on Dhaka-Chittagong Highway
- National Mourning Day being observed
- Three killed in Rajshahi road crash
- Dhaka 2nd least liveable city in world
- Uniform call rate from today
- Khaleda secures bail in defamation case
- Trade war threatens reign of luxury stocks
- India's gold imports surge as jewellers replenish inventory
Mob burn covered van after it kills college student in Gazipur
Angry locals at Bara Bari of Tongi in Gazipur blocked Dhaka-Mymensingh highway and set ablaze a covered van after it ran over a college student killing her on the spot on Saturday.
The victim is Farhana Alam Mim, 21, a class XI student of Safiuddin Sarkar Academy School and College.
Gazipur traffic division senior assistant superintendent of police Saleh Uddin Ahmed said the covered van ran over Mim at around 12:30pm when she was crossing the highway and she died on the spot.
As the news spread, students Safiuddin Sarkar Academy took to the street and blocked the highway. They also vandalized a number of vehicles and the angry mob set fire to the covered van but its driver managed to flee.
Locals also caught the driver’s assistant and handed him over to police.
Tongi police rushed spot and calmed down the agitating students.
When Joydevpur fire service went to douse the fire of the burning covered van, angry mob also threw stones on them, said senior station officer at Joydevpur fire station M Zakir Hossain.