- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Mob burn covered van after it kills college student in Gazipur
Angry locals at Bara Bari of Tongi in Gazipur blocked Dhaka-Mymensingh highway and set ablaze a covered van after it ran over a college student killing her on the spot on Saturday.
The victim is Farhana Alam Mim, 21, a class XI student of Safiuddin Sarkar Academy School and College.
Gazipur traffic division senior assistant superintendent of police Saleh Uddin Ahmed said the covered van ran over Mim at around 12:30pm when she was crossing the highway and she died on the spot.
As the news spread, students Safiuddin Sarkar Academy took to the street and blocked the highway. They also vandalized a number of vehicles and the angry mob set fire to the covered van but its driver managed to flee.
Locals also caught the driver’s assistant and handed him over to police.
Tongi police rushed spot and calmed down the agitating students.
When Joydevpur fire service went to douse the fire of the burning covered van, angry mob also threw stones on them, said senior station officer at Joydevpur fire station M Zakir Hossain.