- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
BNP’s policymakers meet grassroots leaders for 2nd day
Bangladesh Nationalist Party top policymakers are meeting with its grassroots leaders for the second day on Saturday to seek their opinion about the release of the party’s jailed chairperson Khaleda Zia and next general election.
The grassroots leaders also are giving their opinions for mending organisational weakness in various districts.
The closed-door meeting of district level leaders of Chittagong, Sylhet and Comilla divisions at Khaleda’s Gulshan office in Dhaka began around 9:30am and concluded at 1:15 pm.
The district leaders at the meeting presided over by BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir suggested for strengthening the organisation for building up a strong movement for release of imprisoned Khaleda and holding the next general poll under a neutral government, the meeting sources said.
Sylhet division organising secretary Sakwat Hossain Jibon after the meeting said the grassroots leaders suggested for taking preparation for movement, election and strengthening the organisation.
But he said the first and top priority is release of Khaleda Zia who was sentenced to five years jail in a graft case by a special Dhaka judge’s court on February 8 and sent to old Dhaka central jail in Dhaka.
In the day’s second session, the central leaders will meet leaders of Dhaka, Mymensingh and Faridpur divisions at 3:00pm.
President, vice-president, general secretary, joint secretary and organising secretary from each organisational district out a total 78 organisational districts are participating in the separate meetings with the members of BNP standing committee, the party’s top policymaking body.
BNP standing committee members including Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain, Abdul Moyeen Khan and Amir Khosru Mahmud Chowdhury , among others, were present.
The policymakers held meetings with grassroots leaders of Rajshahi, Rangpur, Khulna and Barishal divisions on Friday.