- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
PM opens optical fibre connectivity to 300 unions
Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha:
Prime minister Sheikh Hasina on Sunday inaugurated optical fibre connectivity to 300 unions of 10 districts for bringing nearly one crore rural people under a high speed broadband internet network.
She opened the optical fibre connectivity under a project titled the National Information and Communication Technology Infrastructure Development (Info-Government 3rd Phase) through a videoconference from her official residence Ganabhaban in Dhaka this morning.
Bangladesh Computer Council under the ICT Division of the Post, Telecommunication and ICT Ministry implemented the scheme with the assistance of the Chinese government in 300 unions of the 10 districts.
The districts are Nilphamari, Kurigram, Bogura, Patuakhali, Narayanganj, Gazipur, Netrakona, Habiganj, Rajshahi and Chandpur.
Nearly one crore people of 300 unions of these districts will be benefited through the project.
The scheme is being executed at a cost of Tk 2039 crore and 48 lakh aiming to bring 2600 unions of the country under the optical fibre connectivity.
Sheikh Hasina exchanged views with the beneficiaries of different classes and professions including students and teachers of five unions of Nilphamari, Kurigram, Bogura, Patuakhali and Gazipur through the videoconference.
The programme was connected with the beneficiaries of five unions of five other districts.
Post, telecommunication and ICT minister Mostafa Jabbar and state minister for ICT Division Junaid Ahmed Palak spoke on the occasion, while ICT Division secretary Zuena Aziz made an audiovisual presentation on the project.
Liberation War affairs minister AKM Mozammel Haque, state minister for foreign affairs Md Shahriar Alam and principal coordinator on the SDG Affairs Md Abul Kalam Azad, among others, were present at the function moderated by PM’s principal secretary Md Nojibur Rahman.