- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Miscreants attack US ambassador’s car at Mohammadpur
The vehicle carrying outgoing US ambassador to Bangladesh Marcia Bernicat came under attack by a group of unidentified miscreants as it left the residence of Badiul Alam Majumder, secretary of civil society advocacy group Shujan, on Saturday night.
The US ambassador was attending a courtesy dinner at Majumder's house in the capital's Iqbal Road in Mohammadpur area.
As she was leaving around 11:00pm, a group of miscreants gave a chase and threw bricks at the car she was in, Majumder said.
‘As her car got away, the miscreants turned their attention to my house and hurled bricks at my house,’ Majumder added.
The Shujan secretary, however, said they were unable to identify any of the attackers, or tell if they had been waiting to attack the US envoy's car, or happened to be just passing by.
Inspector (operations) Shariful Islam of Mohammadpur Police Station confirmed that they had heard of a house being attacked on Iqbal Road, and sent a team to investigate.
Majumder, however, said they had been unable to contact police over the incident, and were still feeling insecure at the time of filing this report as the miscreants are still positioned outside his house.