- Quota movement leader held in Sirajganj under ICT act
- President, PM pay homage to Sheikh Mujib
- 15-km tailback on Dhaka-Chittagong Highway
- National Mourning Day being observed
- Three killed in Rajshahi road crash
- Dhaka 2nd least liveable city in world
- Uniform call rate from today
- Khaleda secures bail in defamation case
- Trade war threatens reign of luxury stocks
- India's gold imports surge as jewellers replenish inventory
HC orders shifting Shahidul to hospital
The High Court on Tuesday ordered the authorities concerned to transfer immediately acclaimed photographer and activist Shahidul Alam to a hospital from the custody of detective branch of police.
The bench of Justice Syed Muhammad Dastagir Husain and Justice Md Iqbal Kabir passed the order hearing a writ petition filed by Shahidul’s partner Rahnuma Ahmed.
The court also asked to submit medical report before it by Thursday.
Jurists Kamal Hossain and Sara Hossain represented Rahnuma.
Kamal Hossain submitted that Shahidul was tortured in DB custody before producing him in a trial court and he cannot even walk.
In response, deputy attorney general Amit Talukder claimed that it was false statement and in custody he had told DB that he would continue his propaganda till fall of the government.
At that time the court questioned would a journalist like him make false statement. ‘The photographs show he cannot even walk. Why he would be beaten up in custody? …It is fortunate that he was not disappeared,’ the court quipped.
Kamal Hossain then submitted that every citizen has the right to criticise the government and Shahidul did so.
The court set Thursday for next hearing.
Jurist Sara Hossain said the court’s order will save Shahidul from torture.