- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
33 held, 29 cases filed for violence during student protests
Police have lodged 31 cases and arrested 33 people on charges of violence including vandalism and arson attacks on vehicles during the students’ demonstration demanding safe roads.
Masudur Rahman, deputy commissioner (media) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP), confirmed the development to The Daily Star this afternoon.
Meanwhile, five more cases have been filed under Section 57 of the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Act for spreading rumour, distortive and misleading information on social media platforms during the movement.
Six persons including noted photographer Shahidul Alam have been arrested in those cases.