- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
- CEC moves to heal rift with commissioners
Shahidul Alam taken to BSMMU
Internationally acclaimed photographer and activist Shahidul Alam has been taken to the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Hospital for treatment.
He was taken to the hospital around 8:45am on Wednesday, said the university hospital director Brigadier General Abdullah Al Harun.
A medical board was formed for his treatment, he said.
‘Examinations are being conducted upon Shahidul’s health,’ he said.
Earlier, on Tuesday , the High Court Division directed the government and the inspector general of the police to immediately ensure health examination and treatment of detained photographer Shahidul Alam at the BSMMU.
Soon after an interview to Al Jazeera, award-winning photographer Shahidul Alam, who was critical on the government in the interview, was abducted by unidentified men on Sunday night.
The Detective Branch of police on the next day admitted that they picked him up for interrogation and he was placed on seven-day remand in police custody in a case filed under Information and Communication Technology Act.