- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
- CEC moves to heal rift with commissioners
‘Drug peddler’ killed in Comilla ‘gunfight’
A suspected drug peddler was killed in a reported gunfight with members of Rapid Action Battalion in Komalla village of Chauddagram in Comilla early Wednesday.
The deceased was identified as Faruk Mia, 32, son of Md Mantaz Mia of the same village.
Tipped-off, an elite force team conducted a drive in the area. Sensing the presence of the elite force, a group of criminals opened fire on them, prompting them to take action, said Major Ataur Rahman of Crime Prevention Company in Comilla.
At one stage, Faruk was caught in the line of fire and died on the spot.
Later, RAB members recovered the body and sent it to Comilla Medical College and Hospital morgue for an autopsy, the RAB official added.