- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
- CEC moves to heal rift with commissioners
Three killed in Sylhet road crashes
At least three persons including a boy were killed in separate road accidents in Gopalganj and Fenchuganj upazilas in Sylhet on Wednesday and Tuesday night.
In Gopalganj, two persons were killed while two others injured in a head-on collision between a sand-laden truck and a CNG-run auto-rickshaw at Hetimganj on Wednesday morning.
The deceased were identified as Tarmuj Ali, 45, and Suruj Mia, 40, both son of Sikandar Ali of Ghurarkul village, said AKM Fazlul Haque, officer-in-charge of Gopalganj Model Police Station.
The accident took place when the truck hit the auto-rickshaw in front of Mollaganj Government Primary School on Zakiganj-Sylhet road around 11:30am, leaving one dead on the spot. Another died on the way to the hospital, said the OC.
Soon after the accident, the agitated mob set fire on the truck while the driver managed to flee the scene.
Later, the two injured were rushed to Sylhet Osmani Medical College and Hospital immediately.
In Fenchuganj, a teenage boy was killed as a speeding microbus ran over him on Sylhet-Fenchuganj Road on Tuesday night.
The deceased was identified as Rezaul Haque, 17, son of Shafiq Mia of Ilashpur village in the upazila.
The accident took place when the microbus ran over him when Rezaul and two of his friends were walking along the road around 10:00pm, leaving him critically injured, said Nazmul Haque, officer-in-charge of Fenchuganj Police Station.
Later, he died on the way to the hospital, the OC added.