- Amidst driver crisis, govt launches initiative to upgrade valid licences
- Series of quakes rocks Indonesia's Lombok, causing panic
- India flood death toll jumps to 357
- 10 Nobel Laureates, 13 eminent personalities demand Shahidul’s release
- 38 student protesters granted bail
- How the ‘deep state’ gamed the system
- US corporate media join in editorialising for press freedom
- Road safety: a Bangladesh perspective
- Hajj This Week: 2m Muslims gather in Makkah
- Killing of Rohingyas: Death toll could be up to 25,000
Three killed in Sylhet road crashes
At least three persons including a boy were killed in separate road accidents in Gopalganj and Fenchuganj upazilas in Sylhet on Wednesday and Tuesday night.
In Gopalganj, two persons were killed while two others injured in a head-on collision between a sand-laden truck and a CNG-run auto-rickshaw at Hetimganj on Wednesday morning.
The deceased were identified as Tarmuj Ali, 45, and Suruj Mia, 40, both son of Sikandar Ali of Ghurarkul village, said AKM Fazlul Haque, officer-in-charge of Gopalganj Model Police Station.
The accident took place when the truck hit the auto-rickshaw in front of Mollaganj Government Primary School on Zakiganj-Sylhet road around 11:30am, leaving one dead on the spot. Another died on the way to the hospital, said the OC.
Soon after the accident, the agitated mob set fire on the truck while the driver managed to flee the scene.
Later, the two injured were rushed to Sylhet Osmani Medical College and Hospital immediately.
In Fenchuganj, a teenage boy was killed as a speeding microbus ran over him on Sylhet-Fenchuganj Road on Tuesday night.
The deceased was identified as Rezaul Haque, 17, son of Shafiq Mia of Ilashpur village in the upazila.
The accident took place when the microbus ran over him when Rezaul and two of his friends were walking along the road around 10:00pm, leaving him critically injured, said Nazmul Haque, officer-in-charge of Fenchuganj Police Station.
Later, he died on the way to the hospital, the OC added.