- Amidst driver crisis, govt launches initiative to upgrade valid licences
- Series of quakes rocks Indonesia's Lombok, causing panic
- India flood death toll jumps to 357
- 10 Nobel Laureates, 13 eminent personalities demand Shahidul’s release
- 38 student protesters granted bail
- How the ‘deep state’ gamed the system
- US corporate media join in editorialising for press freedom
- Road safety: a Bangladesh perspective
- Hajj This Week: 2m Muslims gather in Makkah
- Killing of Rohingyas: Death toll could be up to 25,000
Indian national held with 12.3kg gold at Shahjalal Airport
Customs Preventive team arrested an Indian national along with 22 gold bars, weighing 12.3kg, at Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka early Thursday.
The arrestee is Arshad Ayaz, 46, hailing from Kolkata in West Bengal.
A flight of Thai Airways landed at the airport from Bangkok at night.
Tipped-off, the team challenged Arshad while crossing the green channel of the airport around 1:00am and recovered 22 gold bars worth Tk 6.15 crore kept in his waist wrapped with white scotch tape, said Airport Customs House (preventive) deputy commissioner Othello Chowdhury.
Later, he was handed over to police.