- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
- CEC moves to heal rift with commissioners
Indian national held with 12.3kg gold at Shahjalal Airport
Customs Preventive team arrested an Indian national along with 22 gold bars, weighing 12.3kg, at Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka early Thursday.
The arrestee is Arshad Ayaz, 46, hailing from Kolkata in West Bengal.
A flight of Thai Airways landed at the airport from Bangkok at night.
Tipped-off, the team challenged Arshad while crossing the green channel of the airport around 1:00am and recovered 22 gold bars worth Tk 6.15 crore kept in his waist wrapped with white scotch tape, said Airport Customs House (preventive) deputy commissioner Othello Chowdhury.
Later, he was handed over to police.