- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
- CEC moves to heal rift with commissioners
Protect journos, free Shahidul: IPI writes to PM
International Press Institute (IPI) has called upon Bangladesh government to take steps against the attacks and repression of the country’s journalists.
The institution wrote to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina yesterday, also voicing concern over the arrest of famed photographer Shahidul Alam and demanding his release.
They wrote, supporters of the ruling party and the government’s law enforcing agencies were involved in the attack and repression against journalists.
It reminded premier Hasina of journalists’ contribution towards the Liberation War of 1971 and called out to her to ensure protection of journalists in the country.
IPI is an institution composed with editors and journalists from all over the world. The Vienna based institution is a recognised advisor to UN, Unesco and Council of Europe.