- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
‘Drug peddler’ killed in Munshiganj ‘gunfight’
A suspected drug peddler was killed in a reported gunfight with members of Rapid Action Battalion at Purbakumarbhog of Louhajang in Munshiganj early Friday.
The deceased was identified as Makbul Hossain, 36, son of Abdul Hakim Munshi of North Medenimondal in the upazila.
Tipped-off, a team of RAB-11 conducted a drive in the area around 4:00am, said its ASP Mahitul Islam.
Sensing presence of the elite force, the criminals opened fire on them, prompting the RAB members to fire back in self-defence.
After a brief gunfight, the RAB members found the body of Makbul and recovered one pistol, two bullets, one magazine, 500 pieces of Yaba pills, Tk 4,675 and two mobile phone sets from the spot.
Makbul was wanted in 12 cases, said Harun, assistant sub-inspector of Louhajang Police Station.