- Amidst driver crisis, govt launches initiative to upgrade valid licences
- Series of quakes rocks Indonesia's Lombok, causing panic
- India flood death toll jumps to 357
- 10 Nobel Laureates, 13 eminent personalities demand Shahidul’s release
- 38 student protesters granted bail
- How the ‘deep state’ gamed the system
- US corporate media join in editorialising for press freedom
- Road safety: a Bangladesh perspective
- Hajj This Week: 2m Muslims gather in Makkah
- Killing of Rohingyas: Death toll could be up to 25,000
‘Drug peddler’ killed in Munshiganj ‘gunfight’
A suspected drug peddler was killed in a reported gunfight with members of Rapid Action Battalion at Purbakumarbhog of Louhajang in Munshiganj early Friday.
The deceased was identified as Makbul Hossain, 36, son of Abdul Hakim Munshi of North Medenimondal in the upazila.
Tipped-off, a team of RAB-11 conducted a drive in the area around 4:00am, said its ASP Mahitul Islam.
Sensing presence of the elite force, the criminals opened fire on them, prompting the RAB members to fire back in self-defence.
After a brief gunfight, the RAB members found the body of Makbul and recovered one pistol, two bullets, one magazine, 500 pieces of Yaba pills, Tk 4,675 and two mobile phone sets from the spot.
Makbul was wanted in 12 cases, said Harun, assistant sub-inspector of Louhajang Police Station.