Hasnat comes out of jail after two years

10 Aug,2018


A day after an anti-terrorism special tribunal ordered to release Bangladeshi-British Hasnat Karim in connection with the Holey Artisan attack case, the former private university teacher came out of Kashimpur High Security Jail in Gazipur on Thursday.

His wife Sharmina Parveen said that Hasnat came out of jail at 4:30pm. 
After being released, he left the area by a black jeep. 
On Wednesday, the anti-terrorism special tribunal in Dhaka accepted the charge sheet in the case exonerating Hasnat, a former North South University teacher.
During the 2016 Holey Artisan attack that killed 29 people, including five suspected attackers, Hasnat was in the cafe for his daughter’s 13th birthday party.
He was with his family when extremists attacked and took 22 hostages, mostly foreigners, who were killed
over 12 hours.
Hasnat became a suspect after he had agreed to act as a human shield, witnesses said at the time. An investigation later cleared him of his involvement.
The tribunal also issued arrest warrants for two, out of eight, suspects—Mamunur Rashid Ripon and Shariful Islam Khaled—named in the charge sheet and asked the Gulshan police officer-in-charge to submit his report on its implementation by August 16.
On July 23, the Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime unit of Dhaka Metropolitan Police submitted the charge sheet against Jahangir Alam alias Rajib Gandhi, Mahmudul Hasan Mizan, Sohel Mahfuz, Rashidul Islam alias Rash, Boro Mizan, Hadisur Rahman Sagar, Mamunur Rashid Ripon and Shariful Islam Khaled. 
Hasnat was rescued along with 12 others during the commando operation at the Holey Artisan Bakery in the city’s Gulshan area on July 2, 2016 following a 12-hour hostage standoff. And his whereabouts was unknown for a month after he was taken by the security forces.
On July 1, 2016, armed extremists massacred 20 hostages including 17 foreigners—nine Italians, seven Japanese and one Indian—in the attack. Two police officers also lost their lives as they responded immediately. Five suspected attackers were killed in the commando operation. 

More News