- Amidst driver crisis, govt launches initiative to upgrade valid licences
- Series of quakes rocks Indonesia's Lombok, causing panic
- India flood death toll jumps to 357
- 10 Nobel Laureates, 13 eminent personalities demand Shahidul’s release
- 38 student protesters granted bail
- How the ‘deep state’ gamed the system
- US corporate media join in editorialising for press freedom
- Road safety: a Bangladesh perspective
- Hajj This Week: 2m Muslims gather in Makkah
- Killing of Rohingyas: Death toll could be up to 25,000
Two IU students commit ‘suicide’
Two former students of Islamic University in Kushtia allegedly committed suicide over love affairs on Thursday night.
The students were identified as Mumtahena Afroz Hena, 25, daughter of IU al-hadith and Islamic studies department chairman Professor M Ashraful Alam, resident in Satkhira and Rokonuzzaman Rokon, 27, resident of Damurhuda upazila in Chuadanga.
They, both, are the ex-students of finance and banking department of the university.
IU proctor Professor M Mahbubar Rahman told that Mumtahena committed suicide by hanging herself with sailing fan at her resident in Jhenidah around 6:00pm while Rokon committed suicide by jumping in front of a Goalanda bound speedy train in Moti Miah Railgate area around 8:00pm after hearing the suicide news of his girlfriend.
The actual incident behind the suicide of the two former IU students could not be known immediately, he added.