- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Two IU students commit ‘suicide’
Two former students of Islamic University in Kushtia allegedly committed suicide over love affairs on Thursday night.
The students were identified as Mumtahena Afroz Hena, 25, daughter of IU al-hadith and Islamic studies department chairman Professor M Ashraful Alam, resident in Satkhira and Rokonuzzaman Rokon, 27, resident of Damurhuda upazila in Chuadanga.
They, both, are the ex-students of finance and banking department of the university.
IU proctor Professor M Mahbubar Rahman told that Mumtahena committed suicide by hanging herself with sailing fan at her resident in Jhenidah around 6:00pm while Rokon committed suicide by jumping in front of a Goalanda bound speedy train in Moti Miah Railgate area around 8:00pm after hearing the suicide news of his girlfriend.
The actual incident behind the suicide of the two former IU students could not be known immediately, he added.