- Amidst driver crisis, govt launches initiative to upgrade valid licences
- Series of quakes rocks Indonesia's Lombok, causing panic
- India flood death toll jumps to 357
- 10 Nobel Laureates, 13 eminent personalities demand Shahidul’s release
- 38 student protesters granted bail
- How the ‘deep state’ gamed the system
- US corporate media join in editorialising for press freedom
- Road safety: a Bangladesh perspective
- Hajj This Week: 2m Muslims gather in Makkah
- Killing of Rohingyas: Death toll could be up to 25,000
One held with 624 gold bars at Benapole
Members of Border Guard Bangladesh in a drive arrested a man along with 624 gold bars, weighing some 73kg, from Shikarpur border point of Sharsha in Jessore on Thursday night.
The arrestee was identified as Mohiuddin, 35, son of Tozammel Hossain of Shikarpur village.
Tipped-off that a huge consignment of gold was being smuggled out of the country, a team of BGB-49 conducted a drive at Narikelbaria at night and arrested Mohiuddin along with the gold bars worth Tk 35.77 crore, said Commanding officer of BGB-49, Lieutenant Colonel Ariful Haq.
The seized gold bars were deposited to Benapole customs house.