- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
One held with 624 gold bars at Benapole
Members of Border Guard Bangladesh in a drive arrested a man along with 624 gold bars, weighing some 73kg, from Shikarpur border point of Sharsha in Jessore on Thursday night.
The arrestee was identified as Mohiuddin, 35, son of Tozammel Hossain of Shikarpur village.
Tipped-off that a huge consignment of gold was being smuggled out of the country, a team of BGB-49 conducted a drive at Narikelbaria at night and arrested Mohiuddin along with the gold bars worth Tk 35.77 crore, said Commanding officer of BGB-49, Lieutenant Colonel Ariful Haq.
The seized gold bars were deposited to Benapole customs house.