- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
5-km tailback on Dhaka-Chittagong highway
Hundreds of passengers were suffering as a 5-kilometre long tailback was created on Dhaka-Chittagong highway in Daudkandi on Saturday morning due to heavy pressure of vehicles ahead of Eid-ul-Azha.
Dhaka-bound passengers were suffering for the 5th successive day as the tailback on the highway continued since Tuesday last, according to travellers.
The tailback was seen stretching from Meghna-Gumti Bridge toll plaza to Shahidnagar, said Abul Kalam Azad, officer-in-charge of Daudkandi Highway Police Station.
The OC said there is a huge pressure of goods-laden vehicles on the highway and the situation will improve when the plying of such transports will be suspended on Sunday ahead of the Eid-ul-Azha.