- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
BRAC university student drowns in Bay
A student of BRAC University drowned in the Bay of Bengal at Laboni point on the sea beach on Saturday morning.
The deceased was identified as Iftekhar Alam Abid, 25, of Feni Sadar upazila.
Maksudul Alam, sub-inspector of tourist police, said Abid was washed away by strong wave while he was taking a bath along with friends around 8:30am.
Being rescued by divers, he was taken to Cox’s Bazar General Hospital where he was declared dead around 9:30am, said Khandaker Farid Uddin, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station.