- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
PM: Work out plan to build every village as township
BDchronicle: Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has stressed the need to determine plans to address water supply, sewerage treatment, and waste management for Bangladesh’s rural areas. This would be done, alongside such developments in Dhaka, as the government wants to develop every village into a township.
She made the statement after digitally unveiling the foundation stone of a sewerage treatment plant in Dhaka on Sunday, reports UNB.
"We will have to take steps to address three issues – ensuring safe water supply, sewerage treatment, and waste management – in an integrated way for every: district, upazila, union, and ward. Because, we want to develop every village into a township," she said.
Sheikh Hasina asked the local government minister, and others concerned, to work out future plans in this regard.
Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (Dwasa) arranged the function at Pan Pacific Sonargaon Hotel to lay the foundation stone of the Dasherkandi Sewerage Treatment Plant.
The prime minister bemoaned that various obstacles delay the process whenever the government implements an important project.
Stating that the government faced 68 issues while implementing the Hatirjheel project, she said: "Whenever we want to do anything, obstacles come up. We will have to work overcoming the barriers."
She said if a plan for every union is taken now, there will be no problem implementing any development project in the future.
Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperatives Minister Khandker Mosharraf Hossain; Local Government Division Senior Secretary Dr Zafar Ahmed Khan; Chinese Ambassador in Dhaka Zhang Zuo; and Dwasa Managing Director Engineer Taqsem A Khan also spoke at the function.
A video presentation was given over Daserkandi Sewerage Treatment Plant—which will be constructed at Khilgaon in Dhaka.
The plant has been taken to ensure a modern sewerage system for some 5,000,000 people of: Hatirjheel, Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara, Basundhara, Sangsad Bhaban, and adjacent areas.