- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
DUCSU polls: Notice served on DU authorities
UNB: A contempt notice has been served on the vice-chancellor, proctor and treasurer of Dhaka University for not taking any steps to hold Dhaka University Central Student's Union elections despite the High Court directives for holding it within six months.
The notice said vice-chancellor professor Md Akhtaruzzaman, proctor AKM Golam Rabbani and Treasurer Kamal Uddin will be sued in a contempt of court case if they do not take steps to hold an election following HC directives within next seven days.
Advocate Manzil Murshid, lawyer of the petitioners, issued the notice on Tuesday.
Earlier on January 17, the HC asked the DU authorities to take necessary steps within the next six months to hold DUCSU elections.