- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
BCB woos Unilever as Tigers’ sponsor
The Bangladesh Cricket Board on Thursday signed a contract with Unilever Bangladesh Limited, making the prominent consumer Goods Company as the new sponsor of national cricket team until January 2020.
The agreement came days after Bangladesh’s previous sponsor, cellular operator Robi Axiata Limited, unilaterally cancelled their two-year deal halfway through.
Robi’s unprecedented pull out put Bangladesh in danger of going to the forthcoming Asia Cup without a shirt sponsor but BCB acted quickly to find a new sponsor in Unilever.
Until this deal, the Netherlands-based multi-national company’s engagement in Bangladesh’s cricket was limited to sponsoring Bangladesh Premier League franchise, Dhaka Dynamites last year.
They also organised Clear Men Under-17 Football Tournament across the country this year.
BCB’s chief executive officer Nizam Uddin Chowdhury and Unilever Bangladesh’s finance director Zahidul Islam Malita signed the sponsorship agreement on behalf of their respective organisation in Mirpur.
BCB chief executive welcomed Unilever’s association with Bangladesh cricket.
‘Unilever is an internationally renowned brand with a proven track record. On behalf of the BCB I thank Unilever Bangladesh for coming forward and taking the initiative to contribute to cricket,’ he said.
Unilever Bangladesh’s marketing director Nafees Anwar also expressed his joy.
‘It gives us immense pleasure to become National team Sponsor partners of the BCB,’ he said.