- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
BNP observing token hunger strike for Khakeda's release
BNP is observing a two-hour token hunger strike in Dhaka demanding its Chairperson Khaleda Zia's release from jail and her proper treatment.
The programme began on the premises of Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh at 10:00am on Wednesday.
BNP leaders and activists holding banners, festoons and placards joined the programme and chanting slogans calling for Khaleda’s immediate release.
A large number of law enforcers were deployed near the venue to maintain law and order.
The token hunger strike is scheduled to end around 12:00noon, news agency UNB reports.
Besides, the similar programme is being held in all district towns and metropolitans across the country.
On Monday, BNP formed human chains across the country, including in front the Jatiya Press Club in the capital, to press the same demand.
BNP Chairperson Khaleda has been in jail since a special court convicted her in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case on February 8.