- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
HC to hear Shahidul Alam’s bail petition Sept 23
The High Court on Wednesday told the lawyer of detained internationally acclaimed photographer Shahidul Alam that it would hear his petition for bail on September 23.
The vacation bench of Justice Md Rezaul Haque and Justice Abu Taher Mohammad Saifur Rahman set the schedule after Shahidul
Alam’s lawyers informed the court that the petition was not on list of cases to be heard on Wednesday.
On September 11, Dhaka metropolitan magistrate Imrul Kayes rejected Shahidul Alam’s petition for bail.
On August 5, plainclothes police picked up Shahidul Alam from his Dhanmondi house and took him to the office of the Detective Branch for interrogation. He was reportedly tortured there physically and mentally.
Later the police filed a case against Shahidul Alam under the Section 57 of the Information
and Communication Technology Act 2006 alleging that he provoked school children’s movement for road safety.
On August 12 a metropolitan magistrate sent Shahidul Alam to the Dhaka Central Jail without hearing his lawyer after he was produced in the court after interrogation in custody of the Detective Branch for seven days.