- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Mushfiqur, Fizz return as Tigers asked to bat
India skipper Rohit Sharma won the toss and asked Bangladesh to bat first in their Asia Cup Super Four match in Dubai on Friday. There are two changes for Bangladesh, as they have brought back Mushfiqur Rahim and Mustafizur Rahman -- both rested for Thursday's match against Afghanistan -- in place of Mominul Haque and Abu Hider.
Bangladesh have had a roller-coaster Asia Cup so far. They won the first match against Sri Lanka by 137 runs in rousing fashion, witht the story of the game being Tamim Iqbal coming out to bat with a fracture left hand in order to enable Mushfiqur -- who ended on a career-best 144 -- to bat out as much of the overs as possible.
However, both players missed the next match -- Tamim was ruled out of the tournament and flew back to Dhaka, while Mushfiqur was rested for Thursday's match against Afghanistan in Abu Dhabi to give his injured ribs a chance to heal. In that match, Bangladesh fell to a humbling 136-run defeat.
They were all out for 119 in chase of 256, with Afghan spinner Rashid Khan putting in a stellar display -- first hitting a 32-ball 57 to lift the total to 255 for seven and then dismissing Shakib Al Hasan and Mahmudullah Riyad in his nine overs that conceded just 13 runs.
India's decision to field first, an unlikely one given the Dubai heat, was perhaps taken with Bangladesh's batting troubles without Tamim in mind, and perhaps to ensure that the match will be a short one in order to preserve energy.
Nazmul Hossain Shanto, Liton Das, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Mohammad Mithun(wk), Mosaddek Hossain, Mehedi Hasan Miraz, Mashrafe Bin Mortaza (captain), Mustafizur Rahman, Rubel Hossain
Rohit Sharma (captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Ambati Rayudu, Dinesh Karthik, MS Dhoni (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Ravindra Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal