- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Editors’ human chain on Sep 29 in protest against Digital Security Bill passage
The Editors’ Council announced Saturday that it would form human chain in front of the National Press Club on September 29 in protest against the passage of Digital Security Bill.
It took the decision at a meeting held at The Daily Star Centre in the capital.
The meeting chaired by News Today’s founding editor Reazuddin Ahmed expressed deep regrets over the passage of the Digital Security Bill as it is against freedom of speech and the media guaranteed by the Constitution.
In protest against passage of the bill, the Editors would form human chain in front of the National Press Club at 11AM on September 29.
The Editors’ Council in a statement invited all the journalists and media personnel to join the human chain.
The statement was also signed by Manabzamin editor Matiur Rahman Chowdhury, Prothom Alo editor Matiur Rahman, The Daily Star editor Mahfuz Anam, Sangbad acting editor Khandaker Muniruzzaman, New Age editor Nurul Kabir, Kaler Kantho editor Imdadul Haq Milan, Bangladesh Pratidin editor Naem Nizam, Naya Diganta editor Alamgir Mohiuddin, Daily Inqilab editor AMM Bahauddin, Dainik Azadi editor M A Malek, Karatoa editor Md. Mozammel Haque, The Independent editor M Shamsur Rahman, Jugantor acting editor Saiful Alam, Bonik Barta editor Dewan Hanif Mahmud, Dhaka Tribune editor Zafar Sobhan, Shamakal associate editor Sabuj Younus and Financial Express joint editor Shamsul Huq Zahid.