- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
RMG workers block Dhaka-Mymensingh Highway demanding due salaries
The workers of a readymade garment factory blocked Dhaka-Mymensingh highway at Maleker Bari for about five hours on Sunday demanding their salaries and other dues.
The agitated workers of ‘Newtex Factory’ also demanded punishment of those responsible for Sunday evening’s incident in the factory when some of their fellow workers fell ill after taking contaminated water.
Later, workers from other nearby factories joined them and vandalised several vehicles and burned tyres on the highway, witnesses said.
Police charged batons and fired several rounds of teargas shells to disperse the agitators around 1:45pm, said Kazi Ismail Hossain, officer-in-charge of Gachha Police Station.
Traffic on the highway resumed at 2:00pm, he added.
Meanwhile, the authorities of around 50 factories of the area shut down their factories for the day, said the police officer.