- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
BCL leaders beat up Awami League leader
An Awami League leader was reportedly beaten up by two leaders of Bangladesh Chhatra League on Sunday night during an altercation at Dhaka Medical College Hospital area.
Chhatra League’s Dhaka University branches Zahurul Haque Hall unit’s joint secretary Amir Hamza and Salimullah Hall unit’s school and student affairs secretary Delwar Jahan Jhantu beat up Munshiganj Awami League’s Sirjidikhan upazila unit organising secretary Shahidul Rob Penu, also owner of medicine store Sheba Pharmacy, witnesses said.
They also said that BCL leaders beat Shahidul with iron pipes at about 10:00pm as Amir did not find his required medicine at Shahidul’s shop.
The Shahidul was later admitted to DMCH with critical head injury and got eight stitches in his head wound.
Amir, however, said it was merely a scuffle between them and the shop owner.
Following the assault, the DU unit Chhatra League recommended expulsion of Amir Hamza and Jhantu from the organisation.