- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
CU teacher ends up in jail over ‘derogatory comment on PM’
Maidul Islam, an assistant professor of Chittagong University, was sent to jail on Monday in a case filed over making 'derogatory remarks' on prime minister Sheikh Hasina on Facebook.
Chittagong District and Sessions Judges Court Judge Md Ismail Hosen passed the order after rejecting the bail plea of Maidul Islam when he surrendered before the court on expiry of his eight-week anticipatory bail granted by the High Court, said defendant's lawyer Bhulan Bhowmick.
Earlier on July 24, former leader of Bangladesh Chhatra League and CU student Md Iftekhar Uddin Ayaz filed the case with Hathazari Police Station under the Information and Communication Technology Act.
On July 15, the Sociology teacher had to leave the campus along with his family following continuous threat reportedly from BCL activists over his Facebook post in support of quota reform movement.
The BCL men also declared Maidul Islam and another CU teacher persona non-grata on the campus.