- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
AL, allies to face Oikya Prokria ‘conspiracies’ politically
The Awami League led alliance on Monday decided to face politically the ‘conspiracies’ to be hatched by Jatiya Oikya Prokria launched by Gana Forum president Kamal Hossain.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the alliance held at Priyanka Community Centre in Dhanmandi.
Leaders of ruling Awami League and its allies smell conspiracy in the initiative to forge a greater national unity of oppositions and said the unity was launched for patronising the ‘BNP-Jamaat’ evil forces in the politics of the country.
Coming out from the meeting, politburo member of the Workers Party of Bangladesh Quamrul Ahsan told the CNC that the meeting mainly discussed on greater unity of opposition and some leaders of the partners proposed that the ruling alliance should face the opposition unity politically.
Samyabadi Dal general secretary Dilip Barua and Workers Party politburo member Anisur Rahman Mollick proposed that the alliance should take pro-people programmes to resist the unity of the opposition.
The meeting took programmes including holding a workers rally of the alliance at Mahanagar Natyamancha on September 29 and holding divisional rallies at eight divisions of the country by October.
The spokesman of the AL led alliance and health minister Mohammad Nasim, who chaired the meeting said at a press briefing that the newly formed greater unity may hatch conspiracy to come in power in unconstitutional way.
Nasim also informed the leaders of the partners of the alliance that Awami League president and prime mister Sheikh Hasina will sit with leaders of alliance partners in the first week of October to finalise the distribution of parliamentary seats among the partners.
The AL central leaders Abdur Rahman, Asim Kumar Ukil, Afzal Husain, Bangladesh Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal president Sharif Nurul Ambia, JSD faction general secretary Shirin Akhter, Communist Kendra convener Wajed-ul Islam Khan, joint-convener Asit Baran Roy and others attended the meeting.