- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Mushfiq dismissed on 99
Mushfiqur Rahim missed out on a deserving hundred after reviving Bangladesh from a precarious 12-3 against Pakistan in the virtual semi-final encounter of Asia Cup in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday.
Mushfiq got out on 99, becoming the first Bangladeshi player to get out on nervous ninety-nine in any form of international cricket after playing a brilliant innings that lifted Bangladesh to 239 all out in 48.5 overs.
Mushfiq hit nine fours in his 116-ball innings and also got huge support from Mohammad Mithun as the pair added 144 runs for the fourth wicket after Bangladesh three early wickets within five overs.
Mithun struck his second fifty in the ongoing Asia Cup and scored 60 off 84 balls.
Earlier, Pakistani pacer Junaid Khan and Shaheen Afridi exposed the fragile Bangladeshi top-order one again leaving the side reduced to 12-3 within five overs after skipper Mashrafee bin Murtaza won the toss and elected to bat first.
Soumya Sarkar was the first man to be dismissed for a duck in the third over of the innings of Junaid while Shaheen bowled Mominul Haque (five) in the next over.
Junaid then bowled Liton Das (six) in his next over to add more worries to Bangladesh’s favour.
The Tigers suffered a massive blow ahead of the match as all-rounder Sakib al Hasan could not make into the side due to his old finger injury and Mominul was picked in place of Sakib for the must win tie.
Apart from Sakib, Bangladesh also made two more changes from their previous match against Afghanistan as they brought Soumya Sarkar and Rubel Hossain in place of Nazmul Hossain and Nazmul Islam.
Pakistan, on the other hand, brought pacer Junaid in place of Mohammad Amir.
The winner of the match will take on India in the final in Dubai on Friday.