- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
‘Drug peddler’ killed in Rajshahi ‘gunfight’
A suspected drug peddler was killed in a ‘gunfight’ with members of Rapid Action Battalion at Afi Nepalpara area under Karnahar police station in the Rajshahi city on early Friday, raising the death toll to 244 in the ongoing nationwide anti-drug drive since May 15.
The deceased, Hasibul Hossain, 37, son of Aftab Hossain of village Sonaikandi at Paba in Rajshahi, was named in at least seven cases, RAB officials said.
Besides, the RAB and the police arrested several drug peddlers and addicts during anti-drug drives at different places of the country on Wednesday, the RAB and the police said.
The RAB began the drive on May 4 and the police on May 18.
According to a RAB-5 official, Hasibul was critically injured in a ‘gunfight’ with a RAB patrol team in an orchard at Afi Nepalpara at about 12:45am and was taken to Mohonpur Upazila Health Complex where on-duty doctors declared him dead.
They claimed that they seized one pistol, two bullets and 78 bottles of Phensedyl from the spot.
RAB in a text message said a team of RAB-3 arrested two suspected drug peddler and seized 985 bottles of Phensedyl from their possession at Srirampur Bypass area under Meghlabazar police station in Sylhet on Friday.
In the capital, Dhaka Metropolitan Police officials said they arrested 51 suspected drug peddlers and addicts from different places of the city in 24 hours ending Friday 6:00am and seized 768 Yaba tablets, 1020 bottles of Phensedyl, 739 grams of heroin, 920 grams of hemp and 30 ampules of injectable drugs from their possession.