- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Seven top BNP leaders get anticipatory bail
The High Court on Wednesday granted anticipatory bails to seven top Bangladesh Nationalist Party leaders including its secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir in a case filed with Hatirjheel police station.
An HC bench of Justice Muhammad Abdul Hafiz and Justice Kashefa Hossain passed the order after the BNP leaders appeared before it with bail prayers in the case.
The other leaders are BNP standing committee members Nazrul Islam Khan, Mirza Abbas, Gayeshwar Chandra Roy, Abdul Moyeen Khan, the party's vice-chairmen Amanullah Aman and Ruhul Kuddus Talukder.
Barrister Moudud Ahmed, advocate Zainul Abedin and Barrister Mahabub Uddin Khokon stood for the BNP leaders.
Advocate Zainul Abedin said the HC granted them bail for four weeks till submission of the charge-sheet of the case.
The case was filed with Hatirjheel police station on charges of preventing police from discharging their duties and for ‘instigating’ subversive activities on October 1.