- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Drug trader killed in gunfight Drug trader killed in gunfight
A suspected drug trader was killed in a reported gunfight with police in Jahajghat area of Rajshahi early Saturday.
Deceased Alamgir Hossain Alo, 45, son of late Muktar Ali, was a resident of ward No 29.
With this, the number of deaths in anti-drugs crackdown stood at 234 across the country since May 12.
On information, a team of detectives conducted a drive around 3am, said Iftekhar Alam, assistant police commissioner of Rajshahi Metropolitan Police (RMP).
When the team reached the spot, the gang opened fire on them, forcing them to fire back triggering the gunfight which left Ali injured with bullets, UNB reports.
The injured was taken to Rajshahi Medical College Hospital (RMCH) where doctors declared him dead.
Six policemen were also injured in the incident, said the police official.