- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Local value addition in RMG declines in FY18
BDchronicle, Dhaka :
Local value addition in the country’s export-oriented Ready-Made Garment (RMG) industry declined marginally in the past fiscal year.
Analysis prepared by the central bank showed that the ratio of value addition in the RMG sector dropped to 74.63 per cent in FY18 from 75.08 per cent in FY17.
Bangladesh Bank estimates the value addition on the basis of raw materials imported by the industry.
In the past fiscal year, the apparel industry owners imported raw materials worth $ 7.76 billion under a back-to-back system.
At the same time, export of RMG stood at $30.61 billion.
Thus, the ratio of raw material imported for the sector stood at 25.37 per cent in the past fiscal year and the rest amount is considered as local value addition.