- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
BNP, Jatiya Oikya Prokriya, Jukto Front to wage a movement together
BNP, Jatiya Oikya Prokriya and Jukto Front reached in a consensus on Sunday night to wage a united movement with similar programmes to force the government to hold a credible election.
Senior leaders of BNP and the two alliances took the decision at a meeting held at BNP Standing Committee Member Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain’s Gulshan residence, Oikya Front leader ASM Abdur Rob told reporters after the meeting.
“We’ve forged a unity with BNP, and we’ll observe any action programme simultaneously in the future,” he said.
Rob, also the president of Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD), said the meeting agreed on the five-point demand Jukto Front placed earlier to hold the next election in a fair and acceptable manner.
He said the senior leaders of BNP, Jukto Front and Oikya Prokriya will work out their future course of action sitting together.
He also mentioned that it is not clear to them why BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia has been kept in jail even after she got bail in the case she was convicted.
Rob said they will demand the release of all the political prisoners and the arrested students who waged the quota reform and safe road movements.
BNP Standing Committee Member Barrister Moudud Ahmed said they agreed on the five-point demand, including Khaleda Zia’s release from jail. “We’ll observer all the programmes together in the future and force the government to accept our all demands.”
The meeting began around 9 pm and ended 10:40 pm.
BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, Standing Committee members Khandakar Mosharraf Hossain, Moudud Ahmed, Bikalpa Dhara secretary general Abdul Mannan, Nagorik Oikya Convener Mahmudur Rahman Manna, Gono Forum leader Subrata Chowdhury, Mostofa Mohasin Mantu pro-BNP professional Dr Zafrullah Chowdhury were, among others, present at the meeting.