News

Quota revival protests at Shahbagh paused until Oct 14

09 Oct,2018

BDchronicle :

Freedom fighters' descendants agitating for the resurrection of a part of the quota scheme in government jobs have suspended their demonstrations six days after they blockaded Shahbagh in Dhaka.

They will announce fresh programmes on Oct 14.

Shipping Minister Shajahan Khan announced the postponement after taking charge of the demonstrations by freedom fighters’ descendants on Monday evening. 

Dhaka University sociology department’s Prof AKM Jamal Uddin, the convenor of the ‘Muktijuddho Mancha’, under which the protests have been organised, handed the leadership to Shajahan when the minister arrived at Shahbagh. 

The platform has also been rechristened as ‘Muktijuddher Chetona Mancha’.

Major General Helal Morshed Khan has been made convenor of the renamed platform while Osman Ali has become its member secretary.

 The two new leaders of the platform said they will wage a Bangladesh-wide movement to press for their demands.

 Minister Shajahan also promised to find ways of meeting the demands.

 The government on Oct 3 abolished quotas in class one and two government jobs, triggering protests by the offspring of the 1971 independence war veterans, who had been enjoying 30 percent quotas in all government jobs.

Others like small ethnic groups and people with disabilities have also protested against the government decision

The Muktijuddho Mancha platform’s demands include keeping 30 percent quota for freedom fighters’ descendants in Bangladesh Civil Service and other government jobs, a law to protect the freedom fighters’ families, and expulsion of children of anti-liberation people from government.

 ‘We will continue our protests until our demands are met,’ said the Mancha’s Member Secretary Osman.

More News