- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
BIWTA suspends river transport services on all routes
UNB. Dhaka :
The Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority on Wednesday suspended the operation of all types of water transport across the country following inclement weather due to formation of cyclonic storm Titli over the Bay.
BIWTA public relations officer Mobarak Hossain said plying of launches, ferries and speedboats will remain halted on all waterways throughout the country until further notice.
He said the decision was taken as cyclonic storm Titli intensified into a severe cyclonic storm over the West-Central Bay and adjoining area.
The maritime ports of Chattogram, Cox's Bazar, Mongla and Payra have been advised to keep hoisted distant cautionary signal 4 as severe cyclonic storm,'Titli, over the West-central Bay and adjoining area moved slightly northwestwards over the same area, said a Met office bulletin.