- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Fire burns down 2 Manikganj school buildings
A fire raged through two tin-shed buildings of a government primary school in the district town on Friday noon, burning down valuables of the school.
Mizanur Rahman, assistant director of district fire service and civil defense, said it is being primarily assumed that the fire broke out at the two buildings of No 88 Government Primary School adjacent to Shaheed Rafiq Govt Boys’ School, from an electric short-circuit around 12 pm.
On information, three fire fighting units rushed to the spot and doused the flame after one and half hours of frantic efforts around 1:30 pm.
The fire gutted all the furniture of 15 classrooms of the school, said Bazlur Rahman, headmaster of the school. However, no casualties were reported.