- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
`Peddler’ killed in Mymensingh gunfight
A suspected drug peddler was killed in a gunfight with detectives on Kalibari By-lane under Kotwali police station of Mymensingh on early Sunday, raising the death toll in the ongoing nationwide anti-drug drives to 251 since May 15.
The deceased, Sharifur Rahman, in his thirties, son of the late Nazim Uddin of Daulat Munshi Road of Krishtopur area in the city, was named in at least seven cases.
Besides, police and the Rapid Action Battalion members continued their anti-drug drives at different places of the country on Sunday.
Police began the drive on May 18 and the RAB on May 4.
Mymensingh detective branch officer-in-charge Shah Kamal Akand said they on secret information that a group of five to six suspected drug peddlers gathered on Kalibari By-lane area, a team of detectives conducted a drive there at about 1:45am.
Sensing the presence of police, he said, the peddlers hurled stones at police and opened fire, prompting the police to retaliate, triggering the gunfight.
After the gunfight, police found Sharif with bullet wounds and sent him to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital where on-duty doctors declared him dead.
Two cops were injured, claimed the official adding that they seized 100 pieces of Yaba tablet and five-kilogram of hemp from the spot.
Besides, Dhaka Metropolitan Police officials said they arrested 47 suspected drug peddlers and addicts from different places of the capital in 24 hours ending Sunday 6:00am and seized 14,242 Yaba tablets, 1,133 grams of heroin, 1.26 kilograms of hemp and four bottles of Phensedyl.
RAB in a text message said they arrested two suspected peddlers with 706 bottles of Phensedyl at Madhukhali in Faridpur on Sunday.