- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Photographer Shahidul Alam wins Tribute Award from UK
Internationally acclaimed Bangladeshi photographer, journalist and activist Shahidul Alam has been awarded the prestigious Tribute Award by Frontline Club of UK in recognition of his exceptional contribution to journalism.
In previous years, several eminent photographers including Stanley Greene of USA also won this award, according to a press release of Drik Picture Library Ltd.
The award was presented by Frontline Club founder Vaughan Smith, and was received by Alam’s niece Sofia Karim at a no-frill ceremony at the Frontline Club, London. Dr AlamÕs family, including his sister Dr Quazi Najma Karim also attended the ceremony.
At the Frontline Club, London, a room packed with journalists and media figures from many news organisations lent their ear to Shahidul’s story in the context of his unlawful imprisonment. There was also a discussion on the increasing number of persecution of journalists and curbing of free press around the world.
The Frontline Club of UK is highly regarded amongst journalists as a media club which promotes independent journalism, safe practice, freedom of the press and freedom of expression worldwide.
Shahidul Alam was arrested in August, in a case filed under section 57 of the ICT Act, over spreading rumours during the student demonstrations for safe roads. His detention has been widely seen as a test for freedom of speech in the country and has sparked worldwide demands for his release.