- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
ASI arrested for forcefully taking hilsa from fishermen
An assistant sub-inspector of police and two others were arrested for forcefully taking hilsa from fishermen who caught them illegally in Lauhajang upazila of Munshiganj on Friday.
The arrested were identified Sohel Rana, an assistant sub-inspector of the Dhaka Metropolitan Police, his aides Mohan, 24, and Liton Sheikh, 22, residents of Jainshar area of Sirajdikhan, said Munshiganj additional superintendent of police Kazi Lima.
A 22-day government ban was in place on netting, selling and transporting Hilsa across the country began since October 7 to protect the mother hilsa during the breeding season.
On Thursday, police arrested 27 fishermen on the River Padma in Lauhajang while they were catching hilsa in the river.
Lauhajang police officer-in-charge Liaqat Ali said Sohel visited the fishermen on Thursday and made them give him several hundred hilsa and money, threatening them with arrests.
Sohel and his aides returned on Friday morning and began blackmailing the fishermen again to provide them with their illegal catches of the fish. The fishermen suspected Sohel, who was not dressed in his uniform, to be a fake police officer and gave him a thrashing, Liaqat said.
The fishermen later called the police and handed the ASI with his aides over to the law enforcers.
Lauhajang police confirmed Sohel was an assistant sub-inspector of the DMP and a case was filed against the men in this connection.